DEFINITION OF “PERSONAL INFORMATION”
Personal Information as defined in section 1 of the Protection of Personal Information Act, 4of 2013 (POPIA) means:
“information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person, including, but not limited to –
(a) information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of the person;
(b) information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person;
(c) any identifying number, symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person;
(d) the biometric information of the person;
(e) the personal opinions, views or preferences of the person;
(f) correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
(g) the views or opinions of another individual about the person; and
(h) the name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the person.”
CONDITIONS FOR LAWFUL PROCESSING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
To adhere with the prescriptions of POPIA, we will strive to comply with the 8 (eight) conditions for lawful processing of personal information (Chapter 3, Part A, sections 8 – 25 of POPIA) when dealing with your personal information:
– be responsible in ensuring adherence to the conditions for lawful processing: this will be done at the time of determination of the purpose and means of processing;
– your personal information will be processed lawfully and in a responsible manner;
– your personal information will only be processed if it is adequate, relevant and not excessive with regards to the purpose for which is necessary;
– your personal information will only be processed if we have obtained the necessary consent and we respect your right to withdraw this consent at any time;
– we will take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is complete, accurate, not misleading and updated, where necessary;
– undertake to be open and transparent on the nature, extent and reasons for processing Personal Information;
– strive to safeguard and protect your Personal Information in our possession;
– we will not share or further process your Personal Information with anyone or for any reason if not required for assisting you with your needs or as required in terms of legislation or regulations;
– we undertake to, free of charge, confirm what Personal Information we have of you, on condition that the necessary identification is provided by you, in order to update and/or rectify and/or delete the Personal Information, on your request.
REASON FOR COLLECTING, PROCESSING AND STORING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
The reason why we collect, process, collate, store, analyse and disclose personal information is to provide you with financial advice and intermediary services on financial products as per the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act (FAIS Act). This may include:
– financial planning and providing recommendations and advice on financial solutions, which include advice on medical aid, medical insurance, gap cover and funeral cover;
– collecting data about your financial provisions from third parties for use in financial planning and ongoing reviews;
– obtaining quotations and supporting applications from product providers, which may include information for underwriting purposes;
– aiding you in service and claims on your existing products;
– statistical analysis;
– and any purposes related to the above.
As we are required by law (FAIS Act) to give you advice which is appropriate we need to collect and process wide-ranging Personal Information which includes but is not limited to your personal, family, financial and health information. This will enable us to render advice which not only adheres to legislation but is suitable to your needs.
We are also required to meet legislative requirements as set by other relevant legislation, for example FICA, and for this purpose we also have to process and store your personal information. We shall only retain and store Personal Information for the period for which the data is required to serve its primary purpose or a legitimate interest or for the period required to comply with an applicable legal requirement, whichever is longer.
We may share your Personal Information within MMR and with other service providers where required for any of the purposes listed above. This may include, but is not limited to, administrative support staff, other intermediaries, legal consultants, financial planning or product specialists, and product providers.
We may need to share Personal Information outside South Africa for purposes as set out above. This will be done in very limited circumstances and in strict compliance with all requirements of POPIA and other relevant legislation. We will, however, not send your information to a country that does not have information protection legislation similar to that of South Africa unless we have a binding agreement with the service provider that ensures effective adherence to the principles for processing of information under POPIA.
To ensure that we continue to give advice and deliver services that are appropriate and accurate, please contact us at the contact details below to update your personal information as soon as possible. We may provide you with information about financial products and other services, including text messages, emails and newsletters. If you do not want to receive such information, please let us know in writing that you wish to opt-out.
Street address: 32 Matzikama Street
Postal Address: Private Bag X7
Telephone: 027 213 3043
Fax: 027 213 1507